When a hurricane is approaching, remember to take necessary precautions and be to be prepared by doing the following around your home:
- Secure all outdoor objects or move them inside such as trash cans, patio furniture etc.
- If possible bring in gas or charcoal grills , but do not use them indoors. Also do not store propane tanks inside the house or garage. Chain propane tanks in upright position to a secure object away from your home…
- Fill your emergency generator fuel tank.
- Prepare a Survival Kit to include water, non-perishable food for everyone including your pet, portable radio, flashlights and batteries, and battery charges for your cell phone and other portable devices
- Remove valuable items from your basement or elevating them off the floor
- Check your sump pump and the battery backup to confirm they are working properly
- If possible prune tree limbs within 10 feet of your home or remove dead limbs
- Clean out gutters and downspouts even small amounts of rain can back up and cause damage to foundation or basement.
- Take photos of any damage.
Don’t forget these necessary items to have on hand:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Supply for nonperishable foods
- Paper plates, cups, towels